Monday 8 April 2013

Spring is here!

Spring is finally upon us.

In the last week, i have heard my first Chiffchaffs, seen a pair of Little ringed plovers and even an Osprey after having all arrived back from Africa.

I have also seen 2 Comma butterflies and several Bees, my first of the year.

The Osprey was by far the highlight though as you might expect.

I have seen a few Ospreys before in previous years but as you can imagine, as they are such a great bird anytime seeing an Osprey is a real treat.

Where i work, the River Ribble there is infamously known for being a great place to see migrating Ospreys in Spring annually. They are a bit later passing this year because of the frosty spell a couple of weeks ago, but so far c5 have been seen already.

I was told about one that had been seen on the morning of my sighting, so before work (luckily i had a couple hours spare before starting my shift) i plonked myself by the river and started scanning the skies, within half an hour i spotted it. Had great views of the bird going up and down the river. I then also saw it again at Lunchtime over the main lake.

 
Osprey - River Ribble - 5th April '13


Things are warming up and the migrants are now flooding in, can't wait to see my first Hirundines and local spring scarcities, should be an exciting couple of weeks to come :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment